New District Covid Vaccine Mandate

Janira Hernandez

Masked students demonstrate the effects of a post-Covid school environment

Juan Chiguindo, Editorials Editor

On the day of October 6th, 2021 the El Monte Union High School District Board of Trustees directed the District to require that all eligible students who are 12 years of age and older be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by Jan. 3 to continue to take part in on-site instruction. Student athletes must be fully vaccinated by November 19th. The greatest argument that can be made over the new district Covid mandate is that many parents, students, and staff do not agree to mandatory vaccines for students to attend school while on the other hand some parents, staff, and students are very supportive of this newly introduced district Covid mandate because they feel it will prevent more infections taking place on campus. 

On Oct 15, 2021 the Eagles Nest spoke to a couple students from South El Monte High School to get their thoughts, and opinions on the new district COVID mandate. Senior Yadhira Peralta stated when asked about the new district Covid mandate, “It’s a good idea for sports because nobody is going to wear their mask when playing because it’s going to be hard to breathe in, so if they want to play sports they should get vaccinated for their safety and for the safety of others, and school wise it can be optional, but to be safer get vaccinated.” Senior Emiliana Morales said, “I think this new mandate is a good idea because Covid affected our life and it was a bad thing for a lot of people so I say to not risk it and just get the vaccine everyone would be able to feel more safe if everyone got vaccinated.”

Students who need to receive a vaccine can receive one at a local pharmacy or community center. The El Monte Union High School District provides vaccine locations for the community at the various campuses in the district. For more information on the EMUHSD vaccine mandate click the following link: https://www.emuhsd.org/covid19 .