The Student News Site of South El Monte High School

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

M.E.C.H.A.: Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán

Mecha+club+selling+chips+during+food+fair.+
Daisy Ramirez
Mecha club selling chips during food fair.

What is M.E.C.H.A.? M.E.C.H.A. is a club that helps with furthering the awareness of certain cultures, through social, educational, and cultural empowerment. One of the several benefits of being a M.E.C.H.A. member is that it helps to get our voices out and it helps to unionize students through political and cultural action. I want to help spread awareness about this club because I think it would be helpful for students here due to many of us being of Hispanic descent. We’ve either seen or at least heard about how those who are of Hispanic descent experience racial hate crimes and racial discrimination. This club helps you to find your voice and it also helps you to better understand your past.

The club advisor is the amazing Ms. Armendariz. She helps keep the club on track and helps to plan events that bring awareness to our culture. She has an amazing amount of pride and enthusiasm in each club meeting we have. We have a treasurer, Gabriela Yanez who is in charge of club events such as the food sales that take place after school. We sell potato chips and anillo Doritos which are super tasty.

The official club class is in Ms. Armendariz’s classroom in room 195. Ms. Armendariz is always there to welcome anyone with open arms.  It is a safe space for everyone and anyone. The club has meetings twice a month and they are often on Wednesdays or Thursdays.  So, make sure to pay attention during the morning announcements because this is where club meetings are advertised. The next event we are planning is a Dia de Los Muertos Catrina Contest. It’ll take place on November 6th during lunch in the quad.  Participants can get their faces painted for their outfits if they’d like. Everyone who participates gets their time to shine and be in the spotlight.

Ms. Armendariz created the club not only because she’s proud of her heritage, but because she wanted to help others share her passion for our culture. She tries every day to make it a safe spot for everyone to get their voices out there so we can connect with one another. This is why I believe the M.E.C.H.A club is important because it allows us to reconnect with ourselves and it allows others to rediscover our cultural identity as well. 

View Comments (1)