The Facts Behind COVID-19

Jesenia Garcia, South Side Editor

As many are aware, news about the coronavirus has been roaming around the media. This virus has been mainly affecting people in China with some outbreaks in other countries as well. Our very own principal, Dr. Morales, sent out an email to all Eagles regarding the virus on March 6. Currently there is no vaccine or medication to prevent the virus. In the meantime, our safest bet is to take safer precautions. 

• Make sure to wash your hands frequently.

Keeping your hands clean is vital when sick or when you’re trying to avoid getting sick or spreading germs. People are constantly touching their faces, dirty objects, and other germs without noticing. Washing your hands with soap and water for about 20 seconds removes germs that may be found on your hands and helps prevent infections.

• Keep your distance.

Have at least a few feet between yourself and anyone who is sick. Germs can pass through the air from person to person. Tiny drops of mucus pass through the air when a sick person sneezes, talks, or coughs and can be inhaled through the mouth or nose. It’s highly recommended to keep yourself at a distance if you’re able to.

• Avoid touching your face.

We touch many surfaces throughout the day that carry bacteria and potential viruses that we could pick up. Touching your face with dirty hands can let germs pass and stay in your mucous membranes which leads to infection.

• Practice respiratory hygiene.

For common courtesy purposes be sure to cover your mouth and nose when coughing and/or sneezing. If you must sneeze or cough do it in your elbow as opposed to your hands. Carry tissues or a piece of cloth to avoid using your arm because germs could still be spread that way.

COVID-19 is a new type of coronavirus. It stands for coronavirus disease and the 19 represents the year 2019. The coronavirus is a respiratory virus that causes pneumonia. This virus was discovered in December in China and has spread rapidly since. It’s been reported in about 100 countries, one being the United States. The word, coronavirus, is being passed around as a joke without even understanding the meaning. The coronavirus is a group of several different viruses. Some symptoms that could be experienced from this are fever, sore throat, runny nose, and a cough. The common cold is one of the more mild viruses yet others are likely to lead to pneumonia. These viruses are spread through direct contact with an infected person. The coronavirus is able to survive on surfaces outside the body for an unknown period of time, but someone could get infected by coming in contact with the virus particles on those infected surfaces.

The coronavirus has now been labeled a pandemic which means it has been spread worldwide. Dr Morales sent out another email on March 11, which was about the precautions the district is enabling. All schools within the EMUHSD will remain in session until further notice. Field trips from this point forward will either be canceled or postponed along with parent workshops. School-sponsored programs and events will also be postponed in the meantime. After-school programs except LEARN field trips will continue and be available to students. 

After a senior Brazilian government official was within close proximity to President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, the Brazilian Official has been tested positive for a new coronavirus and the news has been confirmed by Brazil’s government. According to the White House press secretary, Stephanie Grisham, both Trump and Pence will not be tested. A big headline about the coronavirus is actor Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks announced on both social media platforms Instagram and Twitter that he and his wife, actor Rita Wilson, have been tested positive for the coronavirus. “To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.” He was in Australia working on a film about Elvis Presley. There have been more than 120 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Australia along with 3 deaths according to the World Health Organization. The movie producers, Warner Brothers, confirmed that one of the actors had the coronavirus and they’ve stated, “We are working closely with the appropriate Australian health agencies to identify and contact anyone who may have come in direct contact with the individual.”

Many sports leagues are canceling and suspending their seasons, tournaments, and games due to the pandemic effect. The NBA, MLB, MLS, and NHL have suspended their seasons due to the rapid spread of the coronavirus. Rudy Gobert, basketball player for Utah Jazz, was diagnosed with the coronavirus two days after he was at a news conference joking around about the virus. He was touching all the microphones and everything placed in front of him at the table mocking the illness. No one has had direct or indirect contact with him since he was diagnosed. He publicly apologized for being careless and for endangering others on his Instagram account. Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said Wednesday night, “… Now it’s much more personal. … This is much bigger than the NBA.”

COVID-19 has done quite some damage within a short period of time. While under quarantine people are barely beginning to see how serious this matter is. EMUHSD is on a dismissal period going on until May 4. Throughout this time of misfortune you should stay calm and take precaution.