The Student News Site of South El Monte High School

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

Toxic Love

Have you ever been in a toxic relationship?
Toxic+Love
na2hz5l9

Studies from Domestic Violence Services show that 1 out of 3 young people will be in an unhealthy or abusive relationship. We wanted to write about this subject to bring awareness to these situations and to show that people aren’t alone. Along with that, we will also discuss what a toxic relationship is and the resources out there to help. This article will contain details on people’s personal experiences with toxic relationships, if you’re not comfortable hearing these stories please look at another article on our website.

So what is a toxic relationship? A toxic relationship is a certain type of relationship that consists of unhealthy dynamics that cause distress to you since you are being manipulated and disrespected. These kinda of relationships have led to nearly 1.5 million high school students nationwide experiencing physical abuse from a dating partner in a single year. This is important because people as young as 14 are experiencing harmful relationships that will later on affect how we see future relationships. Some of the most common signs you’re in a toxic relationship are feeling unsupported, controlling behavior, dishonesty, and patterns of disrespect as stated on healthline.com. To conclude, a toxic relationship is an unhealthy relationship and there are many signs of being in a toxic relationship.

Throughout our research, we have conducted some anonymous interviews with SEMHS students. With our interviewees, we discussed their personal experiences with toxic relationships. During our first interview with Anonymous A, we discussed the different types of toxic relationships such as verbal, mental, and physical. They had mentioned their partner picking substances rather than them which is one example of mental abuse. Anonymous B, we discussed why they had stayed in the relationship. Anonymous B had stated “I thought they wanted to be with me” which can signify manipulation. One of the first signs all our interviewees encountered was being controlled by their partner by being told where to go, what to wear, and even who they could be friends with. Finally, we asked what advice would they give to someone who might be struggling with a toxic relationship, and one of our interviewees stated “If you notice even the slightest sign of toxicity, leave before you get trapped.”

“You deserve to be in relationships that make you feel seen, heard, and valued.” – Alexandra Stoddard, Gift of a Letter (1998)

To get out of a toxic relationship you first have to conclude that you are in this relationship. According to, Choosing Therapy it states “Leaving a toxic relationship can be very hard because of all the emotional labor and time spent trying to make the relationship work.” This shows how getting out of a toxic relationship can be very mentally draining. Once you conclude being in a toxic relationship the best thing to do is make a leaving plan. Leaving a toxic relationship can be very hard and sometimes even dangerous. Because of this, there are many things you can do to make the process easier. One thing you can do is build a support system. By doing this you are gathering support for yourself that way you aren’t alone. An example of this would be if you are somehow tied to this person whether it means you’re living with them or financially connected, by having a support system you have people who can help you with these problems once you’re out of the relationship. The most important thing you can do to get out of a relationship is to seek help from professionals. An example of this would be thehotline.org, they offer help in many different ways such as being able 24/7 and helping with leaving plans. By getting help from a professional you can get more of a guarantee to be able to get out of the situation and to make sure you’re okay afterwards. Getting out of toxic relationships is hard, but there are some things you can do to make it easier.

In conclusion, toxic relationships are a serious problem that needs to be talked about. Some things we expressed in this article are the signs of a toxic relationship, what a toxic relationship is, and some personal experiences from South El Monte students. We hope to spread awareness of toxic relationships and hope to have educate you more about toxic relationships and some signs that you are in one.