The Student News Site of South El Monte High School

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

TikTok is going away for good and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Why does a whole country feel threatened by a simple app?

TikTok is being banned and people are mad about it. There was a court trial explaining all of this, where they ruled in favor of the government banning TikTok’s app in the United States. They argued that it was a matter of U.S. citizens getting their information harvested and reported to the Chinese Government to harm our country. During the trial, some would say there was racial discrimination during the court trial which could have a lot to do with who wins the case.

Others argue that the USA allows us to have other apps that have the same effect TikTok has, however, they don’t ban them and only ban the apps they want to. The US government believes that TikTok has too much impact on people’s beliefs in politics or simple things like influencer drama. This could be one of the reasons the U.S. government believes China is using TikTok to influence the thinking of U.S. citizens with their app. Furthermore, the government believes TikTok could pose a national security risk to the US. Warning that the Chinese government through its speculated connection with ByteDance a Chinese internet technology company in Haidian, Beijing, may have the ability to control the platform that contains millions of U.S. data or potentially conduct illegal operations that could leak most U.S. user’s data. The CEO of TikTok is trying to address this issue by performing Project Texas which costs $1.5 Billion. A huge amount of money is being spent on moving all of its U.S. data to the United States to address privacy and national security risks.

Tying back to the point about the clear racism shown in the court trial, it was honestly jaw-breaking. The video of the court case shows how the US senator kept trying to push the Chinese allegations, about how the TikTok CEO is selling our information to the Chinese government. The US senator is seen and heard pushing the narrative of the CEO’s race, in hopes of perhaps catching the CEO commit a slip-up, but to no avail as the CEO stays firm on confirming he’s Singaporean.