The Student News Site of South El Monte High School

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

New Year! New Me!

Goal Setting And Success
  • Passing my classes with a good grade–Befriend more people —Play sports

• Getting at least an A or B in each of my classes in the 4 years of my high school life—Try to get out of my comfy zone and be social to others like talking more—Get engaged in a club or sports and try to find one that suits me more and speak more clearly.

• Try to manage my time with schoolwork and spend at least 30 minutes on each classwork until the end of the semester—Spend at least one day a week with a family member to get to know them better before the end of the year—Don’t think of what others might think of me and try to expand my knowledge on things I know how to do so I can be confident to do them

• Maintain my GPA and grades on all of my classes—Be more confident in my interactions with others, get beyond my comfort zone, and socialize more—Acquire a driver’s license by the time I become 18 years old.

• Academic goal: Keep my 3.8+ GPA for the rest of my high school years. So I can get into a good university. —Social Goal: Prioritize the relationships that most matter to me.—Personal Goal: I will stop preventing myself from following my passion of theater.

• Academic goal: Pass every class with a B or an A—Personal goal: Be mentally better—Social goal: Talk to more people rather than being shy all the time.

• To pass my classes with an A with nothing less—To be more positive and outgoing before the Spring semester ends—Surround myself with nothing but positive energy from those around me for 2024

• Pass my classes with an 80% or higher—Spend more time with family and friends—Join more clubs by the end of the semester

• Achieve at least 90% in all my classes by the end of the next grading period—Talk to at least one new person each time I find myself alone or in a new setting—Be at least in the top 5 at practice.

• Maintain at least an 80% in every class—Talk to one new person per week—Work harder in everything specifically in school

• I will try to think more positively about school—Have a better mindset for myself—Stop saying no to new things and try to experience more

• I will pass my AP exams with a 3 or higher on May 10th and 11th—I will drink more water–I will try to talk to one new person a week

• Pass my classes

Why is goal setting important?

Goal setting is not easy nor is it something everyone can fully commit to. But by setting them, it gives you a sense of direction. Which helps a lot with figuring out what’s most important for your self-confidence. While doing so, you get a sense of satisfaction in knowing that you’re doing all you can to complete your goals, that way you start to feel good about yourself. Oftentimes why we never finish our goals is because we put ourselves down in thinking it’s impossible. Ways to help with that are to set goals that you know are realistic and be sure to be truthful to yourself as you’re making those goals. Something else you can do is surround yourself with supportive people, that way you have support and positivity to help continue completing your goals. 

Why do people fail to complete their goals?

Many people fail to complete their goals, for many reasons. Internal or external sources cause one to not reach their desired state. A very big reason for someone not completing their goals is the lack of commitment. For example in the article, Why People Fail to Achieve Their Goals, it stated, “Even though people state they want to achieve a certain goal, in truth, they’re not committed to it. Because of this lack of commitment, they don’t give the act of goal attainment their full effort.”

What is a growth and a fixed mindset?

A growth mindset always allows people to learn and develop or improve their abilities. On the other hand, in a fixed mindset, an individual thinks their talent is restricted from expanding. They avoid challenges to steer away from any failure. Thankfully if you have a fixed mindset some studies show that your brain can grow more connections and eventually start to become a growth mindset.

What is grit? Who is Angela Duckworth?

Angela Duckworth is a psychologist and a co-founder of Character Lab. Character Lab is a nonprofit goal to advance scientific insight that can help kids thrive. Angela got her Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Pennsylvania. Angela and her team created something known as the grit scale, the grit scale is used to measure the amount of grit you have by answering a total of 10 questions. Angela states, “I created the grit scale so that I could study grit as a scientist.” When asked why she replies, “Because you cannot study what you cannot measure.”

Now that you know the creator of grit you should understand the concept of grit. Angela Duckworth states “Grit isn’t talent, Grit isn’t luck, Grit isn’t how intensely, at the moment, you want something. Instead, Grit is about having what some researchers call an ultimate concern a goal you care about so much that it organizes and gives meaning to almost everything you do.

What are some tips and tricks that can help people accomplish their goals?

Some tips and tricks people can use to accomplish their goals are rewarding themselves when they have accomplished a goal they should also be prioritizing their goal in the article “10 Tips of Reaching Goals” they write, “Goal setting encourages you to stay on task and concentrate on what’s important. When you know your goal, you’re more apt to stay productive to complete it.” Meaning if you prioritize your goal it will help you stay focused on what you are trying to attain.

Some other goals come from the article “The Science of Achieving Your Goals”, They say to be specific in what you want your goal to be, behavioral scientists Edwin Locke and Gary Latham looked into years of empirical research on goal setting and discovered that “a specific goal provides the mental clarity that allows the brain to more easily conceptualize the behaviors needed to obtain the goal.” Meaning that the brain needs more specific details on what it should do to achieve the goal people are setting. Action triggers can be another great way to accomplish your goal, action triggers are “pre-loaded decisions that link a behavior with its environment”. This is a good way to accomplish your goals because it will become a habit of doing something making it easier to act on. The last tip we would recommend to accomplish your goals would be to tell others about your goals “When you publicly announce that you are going to achieve a goal, you are more likely to attain it.” In other words, this tip will help you attain your goal because by telling others you have now made yourself mentally believe you will complete it. “What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.”-Henry David Thoreau.

Who are some famous people who faced obstacles but accomplished their dreams regardless?

Some famous people who had experienced obstacles were Albert Einstein, Thomas Edinson, Walt Disney, Oprah Winfrey, etc. Many of us never thought to look at famous people past their fame and look more back to their past- at who they were before their current celebrity persona. Many celebrities or popular influencers however are very vocal about the kind of person they were before fame, and also about the kind of life they lived before rising to stardom. Some well-known individuals like Albert Einstein, overcame challenges to achieve their goals despite them. Albert Einstein spent the first three years of his life completely silent. However, because he’s always constantly engaged with abstract ideas, several of his teachers referred to him as inefficient during his time in primary and elementary school. He overcame his negativity and created a theory of relativity despite the adult world’s lack of faith in him. What makes someone successful isn’t only their talent but also determination, motivation, and hard work. Celebrities all start somewhere and that somewhere is right now famous people like J.K. Rowling, Jim Carrey, and Micheal Jordan are examples of hardworking people. Hardworking Celebs “People with goals succeed because they know where they’re going.”- Earl Nightingale.

Goals and Success Guideline!

“Your need for acceptance can make you invisible in this world. Don’t let anything stand in the way of the light that shines through this form. Risk being seen in all of your glory.”

— Jim Carrey

View Comments (3)