The Student News Site of South El Monte High School

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest

SOMETHING I WISH I CHANGED

Class of 2024 is going to be another pair of Eagles who will proudly graduate and we wonder if there is something they wish they could have changed about their school year or themselves. High school is a big part of our lives and there could have been many developments in ourselves physically and mentally, sometimes good and bad ones but at the end of the day you end up learning from each one. As a freshman, our senior year looks so far away it almost feels like an eternity for it to get here. But before you know it, graduation is next in the blink of an eye and there are times when we wish we could have done better.

Let’s dive into the importance of mental health. As I was asking questions to one of our seniors, they stated that mental health has had a huge impact throughout their high school years. They explained that they wish they could’ve managed their time in more school, and work instead of letting their emotions get in the way of their focus. They also added that these really affected some of their habits and grades but they also wished that they could’ve focused more on their mental health. We know that it was hard for seniors to get used to High school, especially after the pandemic, everything was still so new to them since they didn’t have a “normal freshman year”. The pandemic affected certain students mentally.  

Another thing they wished they could have done better or changed was to step out of their comfort zone, talk to more people, and be more social. They stated, “I feel like I missed a lot of opportunities and I think things could have been a little different if I had just stepped up and tried more”. I believe that there is always going to be a thought in our head telling us and making us ask ourselves, ‘I wish’ or ‘why didn’t I?’ But it is also something that we can all learn from. We learn that sometimes if we push ourselves out of our comfort zone and experience more, we won’t end up regretting not doing it. Although they wish that they could have changed many things, they’re proud that they got to their last year of High school. These school years gave them life experiences, encountering new people and finding new stuff about themselves. High school can be overwhelming and hard, but it’s also rewarding and worth it. 

View Comments (1)