Everything Everywhere All At Once Took Home Oscar Gold…

Faith Garcia, News Editor

Celebrities are fabulously dressed, awards are distributed, and talent is recognized. Ladies and gentlemen this is the OSCARS! On March 11th 2023, the Oscars took place in Los Angeles California. The Dolby Theatre located in the heart of LA is where they were held this year. Over 23 titles are awarded to movies, actors, directors and other categories including visual effects, sound, and cinematography. Yet in today’s story we focus on only one particular film, Everything Everywhere All At Once, released on March 11th of 2022, which was nominated for 11 out of 23 titles and took home 7!

For those reading who have not yet watched the film I include a short synopsis for you! So in short, Everything Everywhere All At Once is when an interdimensional rupture unravels reality, an unlikely hero must channel her newfound powers to fight bizarre and bewildering dangers from the multiverse as the fate of the world hangs in the balance. Intriguing storyline right? The film received positive critical reviews and an audience rating of 4.0. 

The film was awarded 7 out of their 11 nominations. Winning best picture, best Director given to Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, Best Actress for Michelle Yeoh, Best Supporting Actor given to Ke Huy Quan, Best Supporting Actress given to Jamie Lee Curtis, and Best Original Screenplay. In addition the film became the first ever science fiction film to win best picture. As they accept these awards with such eagerness and appreciation, each giving heartfelt speeches that night moving everyone, one speech I found to be very moving was from actor Ke Huy Quan. Mr. Quan won the award for best supporting actor. 

.             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAdahLczGk

Above is a link of Ke Huy Quan´s speech^

Even I watched his speech in tears as he expressed, ¨Thank you. Thank you. My mom is 84 years old and she’s at home watching. Mom, I just won an Oscar!¨ Ke huy Quan tearfully states as he gripped his Oscar and held it upward towards the camera for his mother to see. As Ke huy Quan´s received his Oscar gleefully that night, actor Michelle Yeoh was awarded herself, taking home the award for best actress. Making her the first ever Asian woman to ever win best actress. As the film creates historic moments, the cast and creators had taken home 7 Oscars that night. Director Daniel Kwan stated, ” Truly an unforgettable day. I can go home and sleep well.¨ 

Another journalism student personally viewed the film. Fellow Journalism member sophomore Beyonce Parra, shared her experience watching the film,¨I enjoyed the movie a lot if I’m being honest, I would rate it a 10/10 even, a must watch.¨ Since we have access to the full outlook of the Oscars since it was televised to the public, I wonder if there are any readers who have seen the film itself. If so, feel free to comment down below your own critical review of the film.