Women’s Empowerment Club Making A Difference

Natalia Vargas, Fashion Editor

The Women’s Empowerment Club was accepting cold and wet weather donations to benefit the less fortunate. Since the weather had been getting unbelievably cold and the rain hadn’t seemed to calm down it was important for us to donate to make sure that our community stayed  warm and had all of the resources they needed. The club worked with The People Concern Foundation in Santa Monica, California. They were accepting clothes from the beginning of Thanksgiving until the end of January. Students were able to drop off donations in room 163 with Mrs.Frias. 

President of the Women’s Empowerment Club, Stephanie Vega, and club advisor, Mrs. Frias worked with The People Concern and had been receiving donations throughout these months. They accepted various donations for men and women including backpacks, purses, personal care, warm clothes, new underwear, reusable water bottles and umbrellas. These donations will be sent to the community of Santa Monica. President Stephanie Vega stated, “My club and I have a goal to make a difference within our community and outside as well and it feels good knowing we are accomplishing that”.

Sophomore Samantha Perez, who is a member of the Women’s Empowerment Club, stated, “It makes me extremely happy to be part of an organization that tries to help everyone out.” The cold season is a really tough time for people who sleep on the streets, especially when there is flooding and horrific weather. Stephanie and her club are creating a big change and impact to the community making SEMHS proud. We hope to see more of them making big changes.