Peace, Love, and Prom

Jesenia Garcia, Editor In Chief

Let’s take a trip back to the 60’s! On May 12, 2022, the El Monte Union High School District hosted the annual prom for the junior and senior special education students within the district. Students in the surrounding areas within the West San Gabriel Special Education Local Plan (SELPA) were also able to attend the prom. Each district takes turns hosting the event, however this year was the biggest event to date with a total attendance of 250 guests. 

The districts within the SELPA are as followed:

ALHAMBRA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT      

ARCADIA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

DUARTE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

EL MONTE CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT

EL MONTE UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT

GARVEY SCHOOL DISTRICT

MONROVIA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

MOUNTAIN VIEW SCHOOL DISTRICT

ROSEMEAD SCHOOL DISTRICT

SAN GABRIEL UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

SAN MARINO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

SOUTH PASADENA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

TEMPLE CITY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

VALLE LINDO SCHOOL DISTRICT

The event was graciously hosted here at South El Monte High School gymnasium. The theme was inspired by the 60’s hippie era with a touch of Coachella vibes. Many outfits took inspiration from 60’s fashion. Some popular worn items include white go-go boots, puffed sleeves, and bell bottomed jeans. A vibrant balloon arch was arranged outside the gym along with other decorations, such as a backdrop for attendees to take pictures and a red carpet laid out leading inside the gym. As students walked across the carpet the band, drill, and colorguard rallied for the students.  

The organization of the event was a team effort, Special Education Department Chair, Lorrie Briones explained, “I was the main site person for collaboration and planning purposes.” In addition to Ms. Briones, the District Special Education Department and the SELPA representatives were also involved in the success of the event. The district has been attending these Community Based Instruction (CBI) Proms since 2018. The event began at 11 am and ended around 1:30 pm, therefore being about 2 and half hours. 

Lunch was served to all attendees, along with the choice of dessert. Pasta was served as the main course with garlic knots alongside a side salad. Students were offered cookies and there was a candy/dessert table available at their disposal. Briones illustrated an idea of what the event was like, “It was so exciting and fun. The atmosphere was so positive and uplifting.  The students had so much fun dancing and hanging out with their peers. Most students danced the entire time.”