Lady Eagle’s defeat the Lady Lions

Rachael Leon getting a sign at second from 3rd base caoch

Andrew Medina, Sports Editor

On Tuesday April 12th, 2022 the South El Monte Lady Eagles played a game of softball against the El Monte Lady Lions. The game was an away-conference game for the Lady Eagles that began at 3:15 pm. South El Monte who is undefeated in the 2nd half of league play was ready to play and were not ready to let these Lions snap their 7 game winning streak. 

The game started off fairly fast as South El Monte scored 1 run in the top of the 1st inning. The Lady Lions however were not willing to get down on themselves quickly, as they came back in the bottom of the 1st inning and scored a run of their own. 

There wasn’t as much action for the Lady Eagles as there usually would have been. The final score was 6-1 in favor of South El Monte. The Lady Eagles ended the game with a total of 6 runs, 10 hits, and 0 errors. On the other hand, El Monte ended the game with only 4 hits, 1 run, and 4 errors. Once again proving how errors can cost a team games. 

Two of South El Monte’s ten hits came from player of the game, freshman Alexis Rodriguez. Alexis went 2-4 with 2 singles and 2 RBIs (Runs batted in). Having a player like Alexis on a team who always puts their best effort can really help boost momentum, confidence, and team morale overall. 

Another notable player for South El Monte was Sophomore, Jocelyn Lopez. She went 3-4, scoring 1 run. Jocelyn also had a stolen base to go along with her 3 hits.  Overall, the team went 10-31 in at-bats which put them at an average of .323. There were 3 stolen bases for the Lady Eagles, all coming from different players. One stolen base came from Junior, Victoria Ronquillo. The second stolen base came from Sophomore Jocelyn Lopez, and the final stolen base came from Freshman Jazmie Leyva. 

South El Monte looks to roll through their remaining two games against Gabrielino, and Marshall so they can win the MVL league title and make it into the playoffs once again. The Lady Eagles will take on Gabrielino on 4/13/22 at home. The game against Gabrielino will also be the senior night game for the South El Monte Lady Eagles. They will play their last game of the regular season against Marshall on April 28th at Marshall.