Baseball Leauge Home Opener

South El Monte infielders having quick meeting during pitching change

Andrew Medina, Sports Editor

On Wednesday March 16, 2022 the South El Monte Varsity Baseball team had their league opener against Rosemead High School. The game was a home game and started at about 3:15 P.M. The Eagles had just finished up preseason with a record of 5-4. The Eagles were more than ready for their first league game as they had great practices and had plenty of time in preseason to prepare. 

The game started off somewhat slow as there was only 1 run scored within the first 2 innings. That one run belonged to Rosemead as they came out the gate swinging and eager to win. The Eagles however, started off slow batting wise but were practically perfect on defense. 

After the 4th inning, the game was tied 2-2 as both teams’ starting pitchers were pitching impeccably. Both pitchers were on point to say the least. Most of the game was back and forth as both teams were making great defensive plays that prevented the other team from scoring any runs. In the 5th inning however, Rosemead finally scored another run that gave them the 3-2 lead. The Eagles did not let that take their confidence and momentum as they quickly responded to that run with 2 runs of their own. Those 2 runs gave South El Monte the 4-3 lead, which would eventually be the final score. 

South El Monte was led by Junior Jacob Morales (#0) who went 1-2 with a single (1B) and an RBI. Without that RBI the Eagles would have probably not tied the game which would have led to a win for Rosemead. Another notable performance would be from Junior Ruben Reyes (#16) who also went 1-2 with a single (1B), but he also drew 2 walks (BB). 

The game ended after 7 innings with the win going to South El Monte. The final score was 4-3. Although both teams fought long and hard, South El Monte proved to be the better team as they came out on top.