SEMHS Mr. Bunting

Mr.+Dean+Bunting+South+El+Monte+High+School+Girls+Varsity+Softball+Coach+

Janira Hernandez

Mr. Dean Bunting South El Monte High School Girls Varsity Softball Coach

Tommy Tran, Features Editor

Mr. Bunting is a softball coach for the lady Eagles and is also a math support teacher. He has been a teacher at South El Monte High since 1992, which means he has been teaching for 30 years now.  This makes him one of the veteran teachers at South El Monte. A big obstacle this year for Mr. Bunting is that since the pandemic, students haven’t been to class. Teachers worry that athletes won’t be eligible to play sports. Athletes need at least a 2.0 gpa to play sports. (4 classes)

Mr. Bunting’s plan for this year is to survive Covid, help students improve their grades, improve daily, win the league title, and compete against their biggest competitor Arroyo. The league for softball starts on March 16. There will be 12 league games and 12 free season games. The main goals Mr. Bunting has for the girl’s softball team is to improve daily, prepare to win against Arroyo, and advance far into the playoffs. Since January the girl’s softball team has practiced 5 times a week Monday through Friday. Mr. Bunting is looking forward to the best work of the three softball captains Aniah Castruita, Rachael Leon, and Yazmin Gonzalez.

I asked Mr. Bunting for a quote for the class of 2022, he said “My advice not just for softball but everything in life: It’s not about what happened in the past, or what you think might happen in the future. It’s about the ride.  There is no point in going through all this crap, if you’re not going to enjoy the ride.  When you least expect something great might come along, something better than you even planned for.” – Mr. Bunting