Anti-Bullying Month at South El Monte

(Photo uploaded by Georgia State University)

National Bullying Prevention Month. Stop bullying. Annual nationwide campaign to keep all youth safe from bullying. Orange color. Poster, card, banner, background. Vector illustration

Andrew Medina, Sports Editor

It’s aggressive, mean, unfair, and could be potentially life threatening. Bullying can come in many ways, shapes, and forms, but none of them are acceptable and shouldn’t be tolerated. South El Monte High School came together during the month of November to try and put an end to bullying.

South El Monte High School recognized Anti-Bullying month throughout the month of November. The purpose of Anti-Bullying month is to raise awareness about the effects of bullying, and what students can do to recognize signs of bullying and what they can do about it. There is no room for bullying, and it is not tolerated in any way, shape, or form. There are many students who agree with the fact that bullying needs to be stopped once and for all.

One of the many students who wants to stop bullying is Sophomore Leah Acosta who stated, “It is important to put an end to bullying because it saves peoples lives and helps prevent psychological disorders.” She believes that bullying can stem from many reasons, but most of the time it stems from problems going on in the home of the bully. Leah says one way to stop bullying is by recognizing the problem and then letting the victim know it’s ok to talk about it and ask for help. She states, “One way to put an end to bullying is recognizing it, and letting the people know it’s okay to come forward and speak about it. (Recognize & Respond)”

One of the most important things that students can do is raise awareness about it among South El Monte students who attend school on a daily basis. There are many ways to raise awareness for anti-bullying. Students can make posts about anti-bullying on social media, students can put up posters around school, or they can even have little conversations with friends and acquaintances on why bullying isn’t good and shouldn’t be tolerated.  It is extremely crucial for everyone to know exactly what they should be doing if they experience or witness bullying first hand. If students witness or experience bullying first hand, they should speak up, provide support for the victim, or try and talk with the actual bully to try and get them to stop their bullying ways.

Kindness has never been more crucial and important than it is now. COVID-19 and the way it changed public education had a major effect on students, and some are still struggling to adjust to the new normal. This is something that no one has had to experience before. Being kind to others can help a kid who is struggling with adjusting to the new school protocols, feel accepted, and feel like they have someone to talk to and express themselves to. Having someone to talk to can be extremely helpful because it can make anyone feel loved and safe.

When people experience being bullied, it can make them feel as if they are unwanted and not accepted. All it takes is making a little rude comment on what they are wearing or what they look like on a specific day. That rude remark can make the student go home and want to harm themselves or maybe even others. Students and teachers should be cautious not to make rude comments, and instead give nice little compliments randomly. A little compliment can go a long way.

South El Monte High School all comes together, and put up posters and little announcements to make sure that everyone knows that during the month of November, fellow Eagles should come together to make sure that no types of bullying are tolerated. Anti-bullying should be promoted throughout the entire school year, however during the month of November the school community focuses more on what everyone can do to contribute to a safer school environment.