Seniors! Don’t Fear, College Is Near

Destiny Matson, Social Media Editor

Preparing for college can be a headache, in order to have a stress free experience, take note of these tips and important dates to mark in your calendar. 

Seniors, the main concern you may have about college is affording it. The federal government has programs to help students achieve their higher education goals. The first step starts with filing the FAFSA application or the Dream Act. 

The FAFSA is a form completed by current students to determine their eligibility for financial aid. The FAFSA is not financial aid in itself, but it determines if you are eligible for the Pell Grant, federal loans, or federal work-study. Grants and scholarships are types of aids that you do not have to pay back. It is important to note that loans, both federal and private, must be paid back. 

Colleges will use your FAFSA information to determine your federal aid eligibility, so it’s important to provide correct information and verify documents with your parents. 

The application for the FAFSA opened on October 1, 2021. The deadline to apply is June 30, 2022. 

The Dream Act is unique to California, it promotes access to all students regardless of their immigration status or documentation. Eligible non-citizens or T Visa holders should apply for the Dream Act. 

For UC’s and CSU’s, the deadline to turn in your application for 2022-2023 enrollment period is November 30th. After this date, no more applications will be accepted. Students are advised to start their applications as soon as possible, since there are multiple steps to navigate throughout the application. For fall 2022, Community College is ongoing, so you can sign up at your own leisure. 

Here at South El Monte High, we have a college and career center. It is located in room 226. There is also a college and career computer lab in room 227. 

In the College and Career Center, there are counselors and tutors available for students to utilize. The center is open to all seniors, you are free to fill out financial aid applications, all college applications, and discuss career goals. Scholarships can be found in the career center along with help exploring trade schools, and providing field trips to colleges. 

In the center, you are presented with Mrs. Heilemann, college and career coordinator/counselor. Mrs. Adame, college and career guidance technician, and AVID tutor/college tutor, Ms. Ochoa. Ms. Atilano, PCC, math science, and Upward Bound representative. Lastly, Mr. Arredondo, Student Work Study representative.