Why Vaccines Should be Mandatory for Students

Covid-19+doses

Covid-19 doses

Alyssa Villa, South Side Editor

On December 14 2020 Covid Vaccines were released to the public. Since then millions of people have gotten their doses to help stop the spread of Covid-19. Covid Vaccines have many benefits and are safe. If all students were required to be vaccinated there would be little to no cases of Covid-19 at school and it would become safer for students and staff.

Covid vaccines are safe and effective. For example, according to the CDC “Covid – 19 vaccines were developed using science that has been around for decades.” You might have some side effects after getting the vaccine, but that is completely normal and shows that your body is building protection. The vaccine will also help with the new Delta Variant that is stronger and smarter than Covid-19. Getting the vaccine is an important step to stopping the spread of Covid-19.

Schools opening up again is a risk to everyone attending. Schools are usually crowded with people so there is no doubt that many students and staff will catch the virus, but if all students were vaccinated the risk would be significantly lower. I think getting the vaccine would benefit many students. For example, when I was put in quarantine for being in close contact it was very stressful for me. I knew I was missing lots of work and my grades would suffer,  and I’m sure many other students in the same situation have also felt this way. If we were all vaccinated students wouldn’t have to go on quarantine.

Vaccines are an excellent way to help stop the spread of Covid. They will not only help with Covid-19, but also for other new variants. If all students were vaccinated everybody would have less risk of catching the virus, and schools would become safer for all students and staff.