FBLA Update

FBLA

Allen Nguyen, Fashion Editor

South El Monte High School’s FBLA just competed in the regional competition during the first week of February. FBLA will compete at the state level in April to qualify for nationals. “FBLA is designed for students who would like to pursue a business career,” stated Ms. Wong. She also mentioned, “However, over the years, it has become an organization that develops members’ leadership skills.” The club is for anyone who would like to make their high school experience an unforgettable one.

FBLA offers students the opportunity to compete against other peers throughout California and the U.S. when the FBLA team makes it to the nationals. Ms. Wong expressed “Due to projects that we are involved with, students are given leadership opportunities to make a positive impact in our communities. Lastly prior to the pandemic, we do travel to conferences and explore different parts of California.”

There are many various scholarships offered to the students at the national and state level. If the students make it to the national level, the top three winners at the national level will receive scholarships from various national sponsors.

FBLA meets on Mondays at lunch since COVID-19 hit, they have been meeting via Google Meets at 2:15 p.m. in the FBLA classroom. FBLA’s motto is Service, Education, and Progress which is explained below. 

Service = school service and community service

Education = Learn about Various business topics that range from traditional to current issues 

Progress= make meaningful improvements to self and community

The president of FBLA Sebastian Loza stated that “section is where all FBLA Inland Chapters compete in different business related events such as accounting, marketing, business communications, etc. Before the pandemic, we would drive up to Rancho Cucamonga to Los Osos High School, however this year we competed virtually for the first time. It felt strange at first just thinking about having section at home, and we were afraid that students would not feel motivated to participate. We were blown away by their commitment and dedication, not only to the club, but learning more about business and picking up different skills that will help them in the future. We are proud of their efforts and success, as well as representing our school/community.” 

He also mentioned that “Winning at section is something special, especially having your friends cheering you on as they call your name. But nothing is better than hearing ‘From South El Monte High School.’ Hearing them say our school name makes me feel on top of the world knowing that I am making my city proud. Since this is my senior year and last time doing this, it’s sad leaving all of it behind and not being able to compete in person. But I’ll never forget the memories I made and bonds I built. Especially the drive back home, where we wished the night never ended. I know I did. “

Ms. Wong has provided the events names and type of event. If you would like more information about FBLA’s events, or how to join in the future, contact Ms. Wong or Miss Casillas.