New Season, New Team, Twice the Spirit

Nicole Lohman, Sports Editor

Things are getting done differently this year for the cheerleading squad at South El Monte High School, due to the circumstances and obstacles that this worldwide pandemic has caused. Like most organizations and institutions, the SEMHS Cheer Squad has had to adapt. 

This year for the very first time tryouts were held virtually. Girls in any grade who attend high school, as well as incoming freshmen, had the opportunity to try out and show their skills via video. Finalists were selected based on how well they learned a chant and cheer plus any other skills they wanted to include in their audition. This season will be Coach Michelle’s second year as head coach with the help of assistant Coach Ariana. Not only are they excited for the new season but excited to meet the new faces of the cheer team.

Tryouts were held on April 10th and roughly 25 girls were selected and posted on the team’s Instagram to represent South El Monte High School. This year the coaches plan to attend cheer camp in the summer, if not postponed, and also become once again a competitive high school cheer team. Along with cheer camp, they plan on attending Jamz Nationals in Las Vegas, and other competitions like Sharp, WCC, and USA. The last time South had a competitive cheer team it brought the girls closer together and gave them new opportunities to make memories. The coaches are hoping to create some new ones with the new team in the coming year. 

Some of the returning girls are also looking forward to the new activities they will get to do again this year. Dariana Quevedo, a 10th grader, says, “What I’m most excited for this year is seeing new faces and building new bonds with all the girls.” This is a great example of the spirit and enthusiasm to expect in the upcoming year. Not only will girls have the chance to experience cheer competitions and camp, but most importantly cheering at most of the major school events such as rallies, football, and basketball games. It has now become essential that the cheer team as well as drill, band, and color guard take part in these events to spread spirit all across campus and to our students at South El Monte High School.