24 Hour Home Fitness

Janae Morales, South Side Editor

Amid this pandemic people have been afraid to continue with their daily work out routines, and many at least in the state of California aren’t allowed to due to the safer-at-home policy which has advised many people to stay home, bans all gatherings of ten or more people, and has required nonessential places to close this includes the gym. This has affected the health of many people in the community as they are not allowed to continue with their workouts, some of our own students who attend South El Monte High School, and go to the gym at least 2-4 times a week have found themselves becoming unmotivated and have halted their routine. 

Senior Akira Anda admitted that “as soon as she heard the news of how serious and dangerous the coronavirus is she immediately stopped going to the gym.” This was the reaction of many people as the gym isn’t necessarily the most sanitary place since multiple people come in a day and use the equipment, not to mention that many gyms are crowded with equipment and people who are constantly wiping their sweat everywhere. This became a concern especially when studies have shown that COVID-19 can live on certain surfaces like plastic or stainless steel for up to 3 days. 

However the gyms being temporarily closed due to this pandemic does not mean there aren’t other ways to remain healthy. With technology at your hands you can simply look up at home workouts and follow any that are concurrent with your routine or explore new ones. Many fitness influencers already have playlists created on their YouTube channels for their subscribers to follow and some even provide healthy food recipes. Angel Hernandez, a senior at South mentions that “at home he either goes on a run, lifts weights, or even a cardio exercise,” in order to not get him “backed up on his workouts.” You don’t need weights either to have successful home workouts. Workouts such as push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, dips, squats, burpees, yoga stretches, pull-ups, jump rope and more can all provide muscle building in the absence of actual metal weights. 

The best way to contain this virus is to continue to practice social distancing and washing your hands which is why the gyms temporarily closing is a good step the people have taken to help contain COVID-19. This pandemic has become something that has forced people to restrict themselves in order to remain safe and healthy, but this does not mean that you must completely stop your routine when there are other ways you can continue to stay fit in the comfort of your own home.