Boys Basketball Look Towards CIF Run

Javier Moreno, Sports Editor

In the winter we anticipate holidays, but certainly last but not least high school basketball. With the season coming to an end our boy’s varsity basketball team has dominated league play and are off to start a promising CIF playoff. 

Having played great in league so far, winning all 12 of their games. The Eagles have been dominant this year, averaging 70.6 points per game as a team, and have an average point differential of 24.4 points between them and their opponents. The team’s smallest win is by 14 points against Marshall and their largest victory is 33 points against Arroyo. With numbers like these, it’s hard to deny these Eagles are having a strong season and look to finish it better than last year. Especially after coming up short in round 2 of the CIF playoffs, which seems to a driving force for some of the players on the team. 

Senior Captain Robert Felix shared, “After losing in the 2nd round last year it was tough on us. We have been putting in extra work every practice and we are more hungry.” The hard work is apparent in their performance this year as they are 1st place in the league standings with very little competition from opponents as we near the end of the season.

The Eagles are getting it done offensively. Scoring points at an efficient rate giving them a boost in each of their matchups with a solid 54.3% field goal percentage per game. This means that on average the boy’s varsity basketball team is making 54.3% of their attempts each game. Their efficiency continues from behind the 3-point line, shooting 41.4% from deep each game. Draining a total of 56 three-pointers in 11 games, for an average of 5 three-pointers per game is definitely a key component to their ability to put points on the board in a hurry.

Our boys have kept their opposition’s hopes down, having never been trailing in a game this season shows their defensive ability. Overall the team is a strong team, with the numbers and performances to prove it. This team’s hopes of making a deep playoff run are very realistic as their hard work has transpired into a very successful season this far.

With CIF around the corner, the boys play their last game of the regular season on Friday, February 7th at home versus Arroyo. It will be the team’s senior night as well, followed by the Night Rally and dance. Make sure to show your support and pack the stands while wearing your class colors!