Ways Students De-stress Themselves When Not In School

South+El+Monte+students+gave+their+advice+on+how+to+destress+themselves.+

Ja

South El Monte students gave their advice on how to destress themselves.

Jannelle Mendez, Editorial Editor

Life can sometimes be stressful, and some high school students know how to find ways to get through it but others may not know how, so talking to students at South El Monte High all shared their methods on how to destress themselves when not at school, these may be good ways to guide you and tips to use to help others as well.  

Many people have bad days, not every day is good, but there are some good things about every day.  It takes a strong person to see the positive on down days. The key we have to learn is letting go.  It’s about realizing, except for your own thoughts, there’s nothing that’s absolutely in your power. Knowing and accepting this gives you the ability to cope effectively with life’s constant stream of little tragedies an aptitude we call resilience. 

The right attitude is the one thing we need, “Somethings I do to distress myself when not being at school is that I like to go to the gym to take out all my stress, however I also listen to opera, opera really helps relieve my stress most of the time,” stated Ronaldo Salinas. What you focus on changes everything. Don’t look back when you know you shouldn’t.  Don’t worry about what you can’t control. Don’t stress over unimportant things. Have a clear mind, “To distress myself I like to eat my favorite foods and watch good shows for example ‘arrow’ and ‘the challenge,’ I do this to clear my mind and not stress,” Angel Miranda quoted. You can’t be truly happy unless you’re unhappy sometimes too. 

If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.  Feelings, good and bad, always come and go. The trick is to be grateful when your mood is high and graceful when it is low. “ By personal experience i get distressed outside of school for constantly having to babysit and not seeing my family and friends to talk to when I’m down and also having to lose a loved one” stated by an unknown student. You can learn something important from any situation, if you want to. 

Take everything as a lesson learned. “When I’m feeling stressed I usually call my bestfriend or more recently I text my guy best friend and vent to him” Blanca Castaneda stated. It’s good to have people to talk to it would help out lots of people when feeling down so they can let it all out instead of holding it in,  however not just talking but texting or writing,” i don’t call or talk to anyone but i like to write to my brother who is currently at bullcamp” stated Angel Miranda. Your best bet is to take a chance on the present moment. 

Every moment gives you a new beginning and a new ending.  Be thankful to start from where you are now. Wishing for a different past will only waste your energy.  If you’re feeling down right now, each second that passes is another moment to turn it all around. “ A way I distress outside of school is finding a quiet place to be alone. This is usually outdoors, I find the feeling of wind very soothing and refreshing. It calms me down” Stated Eliayza Ramirez. Keep this in mind, and live it accordingly.  You are in control. Change your thoughts.  

As long as you think that the cause of your problem is “out there” somewhere else. “ i over analyze and overthink things that either have nothing to do with me or have already happened.” Lailah Daniels mentanted. What others think about your situation is not important right now. If you really want to be happy again, then stop being afraid, and stop thinking about what others think of you every second, and do what you like to do. “I play baseball, listen to music, and I clean my house and do things around the house,” Edward Montes stated.

There are so many different ways that students can destress themselves, and they shared some ways that helped them and they hope it can help others as well. It may be a challenge at times, but us mighty Eagles can get through anything.