Pink Day Madness

Nicole Lohman, Jannelle Mendez, Sports Editor, Editorial Editor

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month across the nation, and this year at South El Monte High School, our football team is going to be representing breast cancer awareness by wearing all pink. The students have been participating in our spirit days and the game allowed them to go all out. 

Before the game began, our seniors on the team were recognized for all their hard work this season, and said goodbye as the end of their football career approached. Each football player walked down the field with their families and gave quick speeches thanking everyone who impacted their journey.

On Friday night we faced Mountain View High School and won with a score of 42-15. Our Eagles brought up some of the JV players to play with the varsity team and they did absolutely amazing. Before the game started fans filled up the stands and the other team arrived for their early warm-up. The football captains from both teams exchanged a couple of words and went over the rules before they faced-off on the field. 

The first quarter went by  smoothly with the Eagles up 14 points to 0. Then the second quarter came around and the lead was cut in half after Mountain View’s touchdown run. We were quick to follow up with a touchdown of our own. Extending the lead 21-7. 

After half time the Eagles opened up the game with two 3rd quarter touchdowns. With the lead now 35-7 the Eagles felt confident. Mountain View quickly scored their second touchdown in the fourth quarter. The Eagles were able to counter that score with yet another touchdown before the game ended. That brought up the final score of 42-15.

The game was filled with excited fans and it was nice to see our faculty and administrators come out to support the cause and go all out in pink.