Pink Day Brings Unity and Memories at South El Monte

Team+Liz+San+Roman+shirts+in+memory+of+Mr.+Escamillas+sister+

Team Liz San Roman shirts in memory of Mr. Escamilla’s sister

Liyah Rangel, Social Media Editor

As students arrived to school pink posters, balloons, and decor surrounded the hallways and classroom walls. Pink Day is an important day here at South El Monte High School. A tradition since 2008, started by Mr. Escamilla to create a memory for his sister Liz San Roman who passed away from breast cancer. 

Mr. Escamilla says Pink Day is all about spreading awareness and educating students about the effects and early signs of breast cancer. He encourages students to go in for an exam to be safe and potentially save their life. Not only has he started raising money for the cause, but by selling the legendary Pink Day shirts it has given him an opportunity to award scholarships to academically motivated students.   

Back in 2008, students along with staff wanted to show their support for their teacher. They designed posters, decorated the entire school, and even designated a pink out football game in honor of those who lost their loved ones or battled with cancer. In addition, they also sold shirts during the game. This year alone South El Monte students and staff sold over 1,000 t-shirts at ten dollars each and raised over $10,000 dollars! 

Pink Day was a beautiful ceremony that brought families from all over the city together. Mr. Escamilla and his family are forever grateful to South El Monte High School students, faculty, and supporters for all the love. He hopes to carry on the tradition throughout his years and beyond. “It’s amazing what a small community can do, that’s what makes South El Monte so special,” he shares.